Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a pug and gave birth last night. But now she is

Customer Question
She is a pug...

She is a pug and gave birth last night

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the pug?

But now she is shivering,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the pug seem to hurt?

She only had one puppy, wondering if its normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

But she doesn't seem to hurt anywhere

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pug's name?

She shivers alot

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

Magguie

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I was not online earlier or I would have replied then. I hope you will rate the quality of my answer rather than the fact that no other expert chose to answer.

It is not that unusual for a pug to only have a single pup but usually they tend to have more than one. If there is the possibility that she did not deliver all her pups, then the shivering you are seeing could be from the pain of continued labor from a stuck pup. Usually if a dog is taking care of her puppies, eating and drinking, then she is done delivering. This is why we usually have clients have an x-ray close to delivery so we know how many pups to expect and can know for sure when a female is done delivering.

If your dog has intense abdominal pain, pale gums and tongue, sudden drop in temperature or collapse she needs to be seen as soon as possible as she may have uterine torsion.

If your dog has a Green, smelly discharge from her vulva, fever, loss of appetite and listlessness, it is possible she has a uterine infection due to bacteria or a retained placenta and needs to be seen immediately. It is likely she has metritis which is a uterine infection.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/metritis-in-dogs/

If your dog has muscle weakness, muscle spasms, tremors or seizures, limb paralyses, she needs to be seen now as it is possible she has eclampsia. Calcium supplements, Tums, cottage cheese or goat’s milk may help, but it might not reverse the symptoms quickly enough. Here is a site with more information on this.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/eclampsia-in-dogs/

Those are all things you need to watch for. However, I do need to explain how labor works. You have the first part of labor where they prepare to deliver pups, then active labor when the pups are born and then post delivery when they still have some contractions as their body tries to expel the fluids from birth. In addition, the suckling of pups releases oxytocin which also causes contractions and helps expecl fluids. Contractions can make your female uncomfortable and also cause trembling such as she experienced with labor.

If you feel the shivering is due to discomfort and she seems otherwise ok, you might give a little goat's milk (not cow's milk), formula or cottage cheese or a tum just to be on the safe side and have her seen tomorrow when your vet opens for a post whelping visit. It is never a bad idea to have your girl checked after she gives birth.

However, if you feel the shivering is more than just discomfort I'd go ahead and have her seen earlier. Normally you do take the pups with mom, so be sure to put them both in a box with blankets so it is draft free and kept warm so the pup does not become chilled and let the vet know you are coming in with the pup.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.