Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 yr old, 21 lb. dog had the 2-shots, 24 hours apart,

Customer Question
My 2 yr old...

My 2 yr old, 21 lb. dog had the 2-shots, 24 hours apart, heartworm shots on Nov 8 & 9, 2017. He had a coughing fit a few minutes ago that scared me, but he has since quieted down, and I think he choked on some food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Mr. Bill. He was reported as a Labradoodle, and does have webbed feet and the unique poodle ear grooves, but I'm not sure any of that is important. We have tried very hard to keep him quiet since his shots, but his 13 month old sister pup has been nagging at him to play. The vet didn't seem to think she needed a tranquilizer, but she is the main problem. We got acepromazine 10 mg tablets from the vet for him, and I had to start giving them to her. They don't faze her the slightest bit. Don't know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mr.?

Just that he was severely abused for the first 16 months or so of his life and was raised in a cage, with no socialization and apparently very limited access to food. When I brought him home, he was terrified of a leash and refused to eat except when all the lights were off at night and everything was quiet.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Mr. Bill, please?

Coughing is expected post-treatment due to deadand dying heartworms in the lungfields. This is usually addressed with an antiinflammatory dose of a glucocorticoid(steroid) such a sprednisone. Acepromazine can also act as an antitussive (cough suppressant).

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?