Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my poodle has eaten or chewed on acorns. Coco, age 9…

Customer Question
I think my poodle...

I think my poodle has eaten or chewed on acorns

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your poodle will be able to digest that. What is the poodle's name and age?

Coco, age 9 months. She is trying to throw up

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

She is two weeks out of being spade

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

3. Any idea how many acorns she may have actually swallowed?

No sure of the time, just sometime today
11.50 pounds
No idea of how many if any acorns she may have swallowed
Are acorns poisonous to dogs?
Are you still there?

Still here, just typing out your answer now ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Coco is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The good news is that acorns are actually not that toxic to dogs, but if they eat enough then they can perhaps suffer from a transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea, but I have never known this to be that serious should it occur. I will give you some tips on how to handle the vomiting ...

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Coco's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Coco is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the acorns ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian