Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua has a small cut above him right eye on his

eyelid. We noticed it yesterday...
My chihuahua has a small cut above him right eye on his eyelid. We noticed it yesterday and it's a bit swollen today. We've been wiping it with Salene Wipes and my husband is concerned since its swollen today that it's getting worse
The dog doesn't seem to he in any pain and he's not wiping it at all.
What can we do to help him before going into the vet?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Winston. Can you post a picture here of what this area looks like?

Did you see what caused this? The picture makes his left eye look more red inside of it? Can you take a little different angle on it?

Good job on the pictures. He doesn't look too excited to be the center of a photo shoot. With any cut, the body will go through a healing process that has inflammation associated with it. Inflammation is part of the way healing happens. It causes redness, swelling and some slight discomfort. He looks like he's holding the eye open pretty well, if it was squinting or being held shut, then a scratch to the cornea would be suspect. That area of the eyelid isn't one that gets sutured very often. Most of the time, wounds like this are treated with oral antibiotics and time. If he's rubbing it, you can put an E-collar on him so he can't rub it to further irritate it. The tough thing is that there really isn't a lot you can do at home besides the E-collar and time at home.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you so much. I appreciate all the help. We'll get the e collar asap. At what point would you recommend seeing a vet for a prescription?

Honestly, it would be nice to have him seen tomorrow to have them check it over. The sooner antibiotics are started orally, the quicker this will resolve. This week gets altered by the Thanksgiving holiday, so if you don't get in tomorrow or the next, then it maybe a very long weekend before they can see him (or an ER trip).

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you. I'll call the vet first thing in the AM and get him in. Much appreciated!

Absolutely no problem. I'm hoping that Winston is back to normal here soon! Tell him to stay out of trouble. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Dr Bruce replied so quick and has a great repetoir. I really appreciated him being so understanding and giving some much needed advice to calm some puppy parents down.
Thanks!!

I'm glad that I could help out! Thanks for the very positive feed back! Take care.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian