Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We came home and gave our dogs their weekly Greenies;

however, one of them start...
We came home and gave our dogs their weekly Greenies; however, one of them start to chew on their Greenie, dropped it, sat down, and became a little listless. She didn't want to eat the rest of it, refuses to get up, and it leaning to one side. She can sit up with her front legs, but can't seem to move her back legs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lyla is a 9-year old Aussie Shepard mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lyla?
Customer: She gets a regular Cytopoint injection for allergies and her last shot was on 11/7/17. She does not have any other medical conditions or perscription prescriptions
11/21/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Can you check her gums for me and tell me what color they are?

If you shine a bright light like the flashlight from a cell phone can you see if Lyla's pupils retain and constrict ?

Can she stand if you lift her hind end up and place her feet for her?

Is she dragging her hind legs?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Her gums are pink. Her pupils dilate and constrict. She leans to one side and must lean against something to stand. She is trying to stand on her own, but isn’t able to for long and must lean against something to steady herself.

I am most concerned for an acute condition involving her neurologic system ( spinal cord, brain).

Dogs can have disks rupture in there spines ( intervertebral disk disease) which can occur without warning and result in symptoms like these where the dog can no longer feel their hind legs and are paralyzed.

There is also another acute condition caused Fibro-cartilaginous Emboli (FCE) in which a piece of fibrin floats through the spinal cord and can get stuck suddenly and cause acute inability for these dogs to ambulate

I am also worried about Toxins . Is there any chance she got into anything ?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
We’re at the urgent care, but there are 3-4 other dogs ahead of us.

With these 3 possibilities I need to recommend she see a vet immediately.

Thank goodness you guys are getting her seen

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
We’re at the urgent care and waiting to be seen
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
She was fine when we got home and we were with her for approximately 15-20 minutes before the symptoms began, so we’re pretty sure she didn’t get into anything.

There are also some metabolic disease that can cause symptoms like this so checking blood work is a good idea once she is seen.

The FCE may not be able to diagnosed just by physical exam or x-rays so if you guys do not get an answer as to what the cause is she may need an MRI to see if there is an issue in her spinal cord.

I am really leaning towards a disk issue or the FCE I was speaking about and less likely metabolic cause but I cannot say it is not since I cannot examine her. I would get the veterinarians to do a full neurologic exam and then get blood work run. Make sure there are no metabolic contributing causes ( sometimes acute liver or kidney disease can cause neurologic symptoms).

I am trying to think what else could cause such an acute neurologic presentation besides what I have listed. She is a little older so unfortunately we need to also consider a brain tumor, but generally those are slow symptoms that progress and are usually not so acute.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Got it. Thank you for all of your insight. We truly appreciate it!

Hope they can see you soon you made the right call getting her in. Certain neurologic conditions can become permanent if not addressed quickly so you are giving her the best possible chance. Sucks they are so busy wish we could push her to the top of the list.

Good luck with Lyla let me know how it goes I will be on for another hours or so if you need me.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Agreed - our pups are our children, so we just want to get her the best care as possible quickly

I will be praying for her tonight. Hate when things happen so quickly like this. One minute they are fine the next they aren't and we are left wondering what the heck happened. Hang in there.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian