Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Her has swollen and is warm. A boxer and it is her ear.

her has swollen and is...
her has swollen and is warm
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a boxer and it is her ear
JA: OK. What is the boxer's name and age?
Customer: Ariel and she is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ariel?
Customer: I though it was a bee sting and gave her Benadryl but the swelling has not gone down all day
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Where is the swelling?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
right ear and started this morning

1- How much does he weigh?

2- How many milligrams of Benadryl did you give and how often?

3- Can you post a picture of the swelling on this thread?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
she weighs about 80 lbs 23 milgrams of Benadryl and no pics

1- Can you tell me exactly where is the swelling?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
the flappy part of the ear

Does the swelling feel like there is liquid in it?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
no most of it is firm

It is below the skin, correct?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
she wants me to rub it and yes it is below the skin I don't see a break in the skin like from a scrach

Friend, the swelling you are seeing is called an "Aural Hematoma." This when the pinnae (floppy part of the ear) becomes filled with blood secondary to damage to the vessels as a result of any form of trauma. Benadryl will not help with this type of swelling. Treatment involves draining the blood and leaving a drain in place for the blood to drain. If the hematoma is not treated the body will eventually reabsorb the blood but the ear may become disfigured (cauliflower like). This is not a life threatening condition, but, should be seen by your family veterinarian for drain placement.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
thank you

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
she is doing well the swelling is starting to go down and she seems fine

Fantastic, thank you for the update. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian