Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Itchy skin/allergies. Well its not fleas. Its allergies. His…

Customer Question
Itchy skin/allergies Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Itchy skin/allergies

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Well its not fleas. Its allergies. His name is ***** ***** hes 9 years old.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​hen did the itching start? What parts of his body are most affected? What have you tried so far in terms of diagnostics and treatments?

5 years ago it started during the winter months. The two years ago it started all year longmm hes been to a vet, they said allergies. Ive done pills, shampo, moisturizers, lotions, organic coco butter

T​hat is a long time. So it sound like you have already tried a lot of things. Has your vet done a blood test to see what he is allergic to? That is what I would do next since it has been going on for so long. As you know there is no cure for allergies so the symptoms would have to be treated. If you have the blood test done to see what he is allergic to the vet may be able to prescribe allergy injections to desensitize him to the allergens.

Y​our vet can also prescribe medication called Atopica which helps suppress the immune systems out of control reaction.

P​rednisone can be given short term for severe flare ups. You have to get that from a vet.

I​n dogs the allergens get on the skin and then go through the skin to cause an allergic reaction. If the feet are affected wash the feet with warm water and a wash cloth or sensitive skin baby wipes after coming in from outside. Bathe 2-3 times a week to remove allergens.

I​f you have not already tried a hypo-allergenic diet trial you can try that as well. He would be on the hypo-allergenic diet for 8 weeks. If there is food allergies then an improvement may be seen. There a NO over the counter hypo-allergenic diets. You vet can prescribe one. Hills Z/D is a commonly used one. It is suppose to be prescription but I have seen it for sale online sometimes.

Y​our vet can also refer you to a veterinary dermatologist who has years of additional training in treating dog skin conditions and allergies.

D​oes all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with? If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars above. Many thanks

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian