Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is drinking a lot of water, barely eating dog food. She…

Customer Question
She is drinking a...

She is drinking a lot of water, barely eating dog food. She will eat regular food. Further she is peeing constantly. She was recently taken off of Vetoryl because her ACTH level was low, she has been off about 1 week. She had lab work, her kidneys were fine, but her Liver enzymes were elevated extremely high. I want to attribute this to the Vetoryl. She is not diabetic and she does have hypothyroidism. She is a Chihuahua and jack Russell mix that is 10 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Chacha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chacha?

No that is it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of all of Chacha's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Please clarify "...because her ACTH level was low..." Measurement of ACTH concentration isn't used to monitor or diagnose Cushing's because of episodic secretion and overlapping values between normal and pituitary-dependent Cushing's. Did you mean because her cortisol level was low, instead?

Hepatopathies (liver disorders) as evidened by elevated liver enzymes can cause polydipsia (increased thirst and polyuria (increased volume of urine). Trilostane isn't expected to elevate liver enzymes although any drug could potentially cause an idiosyncratic (peculiar) reaction.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian