Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate a tennis ball friday night and we gave him

hydrogen peroxide, he threw it...
My dog ate a tennis ball friday night and we gave him hydrogen peroxide, he threw it up an hour or so later. Then he slept for a while. We took him out to potty and he ate the ball again before we could stop him. We did the peroxide and milk mixture again but it didnt work. Now he is vomiting and pooping a very dark color with pieces of food from that night. He has vomitted twice today so far. I can tell he doesnt feel good
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: he has thyroid cancer
11/20/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

To make sure I got this right, the second time he ate the ball was Friday?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
both in the same night
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
i dont have phone service where we are currently

1- Is he lethargic?

2- How long has it been since the last time he vomited?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Chat is fine, please disregard the phone call request this is sent by the website automatically, not me.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
he is lethargic...he will still go out and he still is interested in food but not as much as normal
about an hour...twice today after giving him some coconut water (ever since the cancer got worse he wont drink water anymore so we mix it into his food)
vomitted maybe 3 or 4 times yesterday early in the day then nothing until today after him drinking
he weighs about 50lbs
gums look normal dark pink
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
he ate some fat free cottage cheese about 30 min ago and it has stayed down

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, as you already know it is likely that the ball could be obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. Unfortunately, there is not much you will be able to do at home if the ball is obstructed, I am sorry. To rule out an obstruction he will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. If possible, I would have him checked tonight by ER veterinarian. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I totally understand and that is our plan now.
How soon would we know if it was obstructing the gastrointestinal tract?
Could it be effects of the peroxide being digested?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
what are the effects of the tract being obstructed?

Not likely to be related to the peroxide.

Symptoms of an obstruction are lethargy, vomiting, anorexia, difficulty defecating (diarrhea or constipation), etc.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ok thank you!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian