Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her paw pads have some crusty yellow areas near the nail…

Customer Question
Her paw pads have...

Her paw pads have some crusty yellow areas near the nail bed. She licks her paws A LOT.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Josie, she’s probably around 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Josie?

12 lb chihuahua dachshund mix, may have food allergy as she gets rare dermatitis on her belly.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Crustiness around the nails usually is a concern with an immune mediated skin disease of some sort. Those usually are not itchy or cause them discomfort, so if she is licking often, or it seems like the area is red; then it can very well be an allergy. Environmental allergies are the most common cause of skin problems with the feet. You cannot rule out a food allergy if this is a year round problem, but it can take some time on a prescription diet trial (usually 12 weeks) to determine if that is the case (not as simple as changing foods). That crusting could be a secondary bacterial or yeast infection or even a skin mite called Demodex. You cannot determine the exact cause by just looking at the paws, but if you can get a picture and post it or attach it to your next message, I would be happy to look at it. Chances are, your vet may need to do a skin scraping and skin impression and possibly prescribe medications for allergies and infection. Sometimes foot soaking with a chlorhexidene based shampoo twice weekly for 10 minutes helps if there is a secondary infection. Wiping the paws with baby wipes after coming in from outside can help as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thanks. The paw looks swollen and red. Most of the time this is caused by an environmental allergy. A food allergy is possible. If it just started after changing the diet, I would consider changing it back. If the diet change started after the symptoms, changing to that diet most likely will not give us much information about a food allergy. If you want to rule out a food allergy, then need to be on either a prescription hypoallergenic or limited ingredient (1 protein and 1 carbohydrate source they have never been exposed to) for a minimum of 12 weeks with nothing else but water passing through the mouth. Like I said, a simple diet change is not a good way to rule it out. Environmental allergies are far more common. There is most likely a secondary bacterial and/or yeast infection on the paws that needs to be treated by your vet. I would also soak the paws daily in a chlorhexidine based shampoo for 10 minutes before rinsing. I would check for Demodex, which is a skin mite that can cause problems in the paws, although it is not usually itchy. I would want to rule it out first because treating for allergies could make it worse. If there are no mites, I would have her on either prednisone or Apoquel for allergies. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how Josie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian