Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We adopted Savah 2 years ago from German Shepherd Rescue.

Customer Question
Hello, This is...

Hello, This is Barb. We adopted Savah 2 years ago from German Shepherd Rescue. She was approximately 1 year old at the time. They had rescued 30 dogs from a puppy mill. They had a very poor start in life. She is a wonderful dog and sooo smart. However she has a lot of health issues. After her first year with us, all her toenails fell off. After expensive vet bills they were ok for about 1 year, but painful for her. They grew back, but she is now losing them again. She also has chronic ear infection. She had steroid shot, ear salve and antibiotics twice a day in pill form. The minute we finish the pills, it comes back. She is on a special diet of salmon and sweet potato dog food. She eats well but is losing weight. Now what?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the German shepherd can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the German shepherd's name?

Her name is ***** ***** we call her Sav

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Savah?

Between puppy and 1 year she was living in a trailer in the desert with about 29 other dogs. I'm sure she never had shots or food or water a lot of the time.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Did you ever receive a diagnosis for the toenail loss? Has a culture and sensitivity been performed on the ear? What antibiotics work well for the ear infection? Has your vet discussed a TECA? Is this in one ear or both? How is her stool? Have any diagnostics been performed for the weight loss so far?

The diagosis for both has been allergies. The ear is one ear only. They never did a culture. She saw a vet dermatologist. He prescribed the special diet for the toe nails. But I was concerned when her regular vet never did a culture or even looked in her ear. He jusr said "I know what it is"

Ear infections are common in dogs, but losing toe nails are less common. Recurrent ear infections become a bit more tricky because there may be an underlying cause and there might not be. Some dogs have incredibly small ear canals, floppy ears, etc. which might predispose them to developing an infection on one or both sides.

What antibiotics work well for the ear infection? Has your vet discussed a TECA? How is her stool? Have any diagnostics been performed for the weight loss so far?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian