Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have (Poodle terrier mix 11years old 28 lbs) that has

Customer Question
I have (Poodle terrier...

I have (Poodle terrier mix 11years old 28 lbs) that has seizures, my vet put her on medication and the seizures stopped but now she can barley function

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the poodle's name and age?

11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the poodle's name?

Brownie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brownie?

Just her seizure I want to know if it is worth it to pay a specialist or if the dog is just terminal

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Brownie. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Can you please tell me:

• How old was Brownie when she started to have seizures?
  • What medication did the vet put her on?
  • How much and how often?
  • How long ago did she start taking it?

I'll be standing by awaiting your reply. Thank you.

11yo started 3 months ago
medication is at home sorry
1.5 pills 2 times daily
3 months
She is not have any seizures in 2 months

Thank you for the quick reply.

Here are some thoughts to share with you:

• The most common reason for a dog her age to start having seizures is the development of a tumor within the brain. Based on those statistics, I'm sorry to tell you that it is indeed very likely Brownie's condition is indeed terminal. That being said, your vet is attempting to use medications to relieve her symptoms and help her feel a little better for a little while, even though it is overwhelmingly likely she is eventually going to get worse.
  • Sometimes seizure medications can cause sedation. That may be the case with Brownie right now. It's much more common during the first week or two of being on the medication, however. We have to also accept that Brownie's current loss of energy is due to a tumor in her brain continuing to get worse. It can be difficult to tell the difference. Your vet may direct you to decrease her seizure medication so you can find out if that relieves some of this and causes her energy to improve.
  • Seeing a specialist and having an MRI or CT done is the only way to know for sure if there is a tumor in her brain. A specialist also has the best access to the most current information on how best to handle the toughest cases. Sometimes it's extremely difficult to manage things for an older dog with seizures, but it can be done. In my practice, however, a lot of people can't afford to travel to see a specialist, and we simply do the best we can for them for as long as possible, accepting that eventually we'll have to euthanize their dog.

I know this is a complicated situation and all of this is difficult stuff to talk about.

It has to be breaking your heart to consider it may be time to let go of Brownie.

The only way to know for sure, though, is to take her back to your vet for a recheck. That alone may be enough, especially if things have gotten really bad for her.

In regards ***** ***** if it's worthwhile to take her to a specialist, I'd ask your vet at her recheck. The bot***** *****ne, though, is it's up to you. If it's affordable and practical, I'd do it, just so you don't wonder, "What if..." during the months down the road.

Is there anything else I can help you with for now? Again, I'm really sorry you're going through this.

Are you still there?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I do hope this information has been very helpful to you. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Brownie. I've been thinking about you and worried about how she's doing.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian