Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an older pit that's currently in heat. She has a

Customer Question
Hello. I have an...

Hello. I have an older pit bull that's currently in heat. She has a blood-ish discharge, but it appears that its a lot more than what I've seen in the past (I haven't seen any dark blood yet). She has also been a little lethargic and her appetite has decreased. Should I take her to the vet, or us this normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 10 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pashon?

Not at the moment. I just want to make sure she's OK.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also, what are some things that I need to look out for? Any red flags or issues that I need to keep an eye out for?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It is not uncommon for the amount of blood to vary with heat cycles or even get worse as they age because of some hormonal issues. But, there is a slight possibility it could be something more serious like a clotting problem or an infection. If she was acting normal otherwise and had pink gums, I would say that you can probably still monitor her for a couple days. Given that her activity and appetite seem to be less, I would play it on the safe side and have your vet check her out. It may be a good idea to run some blood work just in case as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian