Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My English bulldog was diagnosed with pneumonia she is on…

My English bulldog was...

My English bulldog was diagnosed with pneumonia she is on 375 mg Amoxi/Clav it helped for awhile now she is vomiting food up again. should they try Azithromycin?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No!!... we have been to the vet and they ran a lot of tests I am wondering if that is the right antibiotic she may have megaesohagus in addition to Pnemonia??

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Dutchess she is a 4 yr, old English bulldog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Yes she has a good appetite still but has pnemonia

11/20/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Dutchess is being treated for pneumonia with Amoxi/Clav. This is a fine antibiotic choice to begin treatment, but if there is no improvement, or if the medication can not be tolerated orally, then a change in the medication may be necessary. How long has she been treated? Also, what is Dutchess' current weight? I would like to double check the dosage for you.

She has been taking the antibiotic for eight days now ,She weighs 53 pounds

The dose is correct for general use of Clavamox such as for urinary infections, skin infections, etc., but it is lower than the recommendation for bacterial pneumonia. A dose of 22 mg/kg given every 8 hours is typical, which would put Dutchess at 530 mg. Treatment is for a minimum of 3-4 weeks. It may be too early to determine if this antibiotic needs to be changed unless the pneumonia is spreading, or can not be given because of the nausea. Likely, if there is nausea, then increasing the dose will cause more issues with vomiting. If another antibiotic is needed then adding one that broadens the spectrum of bacterial coverage in addition to the existing one is recommended. Baytril (i.e. enrofloxacin) is a common choice because if its ability to penetrate tissues effectively. An aminoglycoside such as gentamycin can also be given. Because of concerns about the pathogenic potential of Mycoplasma specides in pneumonia, doxycycline may be considered, particularly for those that show no response to therapy with other antibiotic choices.

Other things that can help are saline nebulization several times daily, oxygen therapy, and bronchodilators (i.e. theophylline, terbutaline, etc.) used as needed.

Hi thanks for the information I did talk to the vet while you were typing to me he wants her to stay on the anabiotic but they found out she has a little tighter to valley fever so we’re going to get on flcoazole too.

That sounds good. Treatment for Valley Fever is at least 2 months beyond the resolution of clinical signs. The magnitude of titer is important , with higher titers of IgG (>1:64) suggesting disseminated or severe pulmonary infections.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
you have helped they didn’t say what the blood levels or tighter was but they did recommend she should be on the medicine so I guess I will pick that up and continue with the anabiotic‘s I did mention Bay Trail to them and I did mention Azirhromycin
But they want to stick with the Moxie clever mocks for now you were very helpful thank you
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian