Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a three year old Dacshound/ Russel mix little girl…

Customer Question
We have a three...

We have a three year old Dacshound/Jack Russel mix little girl whose back has given up and she is now paralyzed in her hind quarters. The vet is doing laser treatments on her, so far three and we have not seen any improvement. We don't know if we should continue or have her put down. Can you give us any assurance that she would ever get well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Tootsie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tootsie?

No, he has seen her since she was three months, when we got her from the pound.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. I think it would be worth it to continue to do the laser treatments. With that type of injury, you may not see any improvement that quickly. The chance of seeing any significant improvement would be low, though. I would at least give another 2-3 treatments. Given her age, it may be worth it to look into getting a cart for her rear end. Many paralyzed dogs do well on that and life a happy life otherwise. You can check out one such brand on the website below. If the treatments do not help after another 2-3, or if a cart is not an option, then you may need to consider euthanasia. I do see many paralyzed dogs that happily drag themselves around with their front legs without another care in the world, but eventually, those legs will give out or sores may develop. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

https://www.k9carts.com/?ibp-adgroup=adwords&ibp-keyword=%2Bdog%20%2Bwheelchair&ibp-matchtype=b&ibp-custom=1t4&gclid=Cj0KCQiAl8rQBRDrARIsAEW_To-xOQAYpuwNto4kVnSG250F3kLd8fF2eHuatiz2ZJRZK8IrSdny0rUaAi9kEALw_wcB

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Tootsie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian