Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 3 longhaired dachshunds who seem to go in a fit as…

Customer Question
Hey! I have 3 longhaired...
Hey! I have 3 longhaired dachshunds who seem to go in a fit as soon as one flea gets on them. I was issuing advantage multi and every time I used it they would get scabs where the application was. Also like not even a full month later they would scratch like crazy again so much to where they were chewing spots in their coats. So I got the Seresto collar and the day I put it on they are still scratching but not as much but now 2 of them are sneezing uncontrollably.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Today he’s started backwards sneezing like dogs do when they have anxiety.
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry for the delay. The site updated and closed my post which I now have to repost for you.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your doxis. I'll address your concerns as you posted them...

Many populations of fleas are now resistant to the imidacloprid in Advantage Multi and the moxidectin in that product may aid in the control of fleas but there are better products in that regard. Please ask your vet about one of the new isoxasole-containing products such as Bravecto (fluralaner), Simparica (sarolaner), and NexGard (afoxolaner) to which fleas haven't developed resistance.

It sounds as if your dogs have developed a flea saliva allergy causing their intense pruritis (itchiness) and skin excorations. It takes just one flea to bite twice for this hypersensitivity reaction to flea saliva to arise. It's best addressed with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone prescribed by your vet.

Their sneezing may be due to the chemicals in the Seresto collar entering their nasal cavity or perhaps a concurrent atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) has arisen. Atopy can be addressed with a steroid as well and your vet can prescribe other immunomodulary drugs such as Apoquel (oclacitinib) or IL-31 (Cytopoint).

It's important to treat your premesis as well as your dogs. Siphotrol Area Treatment spray is a good example of a product that not only addresses adult fleas but also contains the insect growth regulator (IGR) methoprene which doesn't allow flea eggs or larvae to develop into adult fleas thus breaking up the life cycle of the flea.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.