Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate about 5 oz of play dough. It was the regular

store bought brand. It was...
My dog ate about 5 oz of play dough. It was the regular store bought brand. It was actually inside a balloon. It was a homemade stress relief ball. What should I do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Indy.

How long ago did he/she eat the play dough and balloon?

Do you know if he/she swallowed it whole or if he/she chewed the balloon open first?

How much does Indy weigh?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
He ate it probably about 2 hours ago. I found a piece of the balloon that was chewed into a small chunk. He weighs about 72 poinds

Ok, the good news is that commercial "play doh" is NOT toxic. The homemade playdough can be very toxic due to the high salt content. Commercial "play doh" usually passes uneventfully, just as brightly colored stool.

It is also encouraging that he chewed the balloon open, as I'd be much more concerned about his attempt to pass the stress ball intact. Since it sounds like the latex balloon is in pieces, it will likely pass uneventfully as well.

I encourage you to watch them for signs of obstruction over the next 2-3 days - vomiting, decreased appetite, diarrhea, decreased stool formation, lethargy, painful abdomen.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you. This was very helpful, especially for my stress level.

You are very welcome. I wish you both all the best and that the color poops and peace of mind arrive soon.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian