Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 month old puppy can't keep any food down. She started…

My 5 month old...

My 5 month old puppy can't keep any food down. She started vomiting, about 19 hours ago and since then she has committed about 10 times. She has stopped puking, but I tried giving her some food about an hour ago and she threw it up within 30 minutes. The only thing different from her diet that we gave her was a little bit of deli turkey and she had a small amount of crawfish meat. I'm wondering if she doesn't have a stomach bug. She had diarrhea this morning but since then has only peed twice. Besides trying to feed her once she hasn't had any food. She's pretty much been sleeping all day which is unusual for her but she also hasn't eaten.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

She's spayed and up to date on all of her shots if that's a question

11/20/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn your puppy is vomiting and has diarrhea. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Breed?

3- Any blood in the stool?

4- Did she get into anything?

She's about 15 pounds, she's a mix( mom is daschund terrier, dad is unknown), no blood in stool, and not that I know of. When I'm not home she's in her crate, and we took her to a soccer game last night so she was with us all day.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Thank you!

Friend, when we see a puppy with the symptoms that you are describing of vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia, etc. this can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections (parvo), parasites, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can for a hands-on examination, fecal analysis, x-rays and to start her on supportive care (IV fluids, antiemetics, etc.). In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, she can continue to have water. Leave her without food for 8 hours. Then, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination and supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian