Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dig had Luke's was treated. She drinks water constantly&

Customer Question
urinates. She just lays around...
My dig had Luke's was treated. She drinks water constantly& urinates. She just lays around. Back legs she doesn't like you to lift her up in vehicle. What could be wrong. Kidney failure?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

When you say he had "Luke's", do you mean Lyme's?

How long has the increase in drinking and urination been going on for?

How is her appetite?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Apetite good. No vomiting. Just extremely thirsty all the time & no energy,just lays around.
Has follow up with Vet yearly for the Lymes& Angio...2 yrs ago
He pants all the time too.
Hurts when I try to get him up in a vehicle mainly back legs,he won't budge,80 pda have to lift him up,bought steps but won't use. Collie 6 yrs old
He has been this way since the Lymes& Angio...2 yrs ago Kidney failure?

Thanks for the information. My first two concerns would be kidney failure or diabetes. The symptoms could fit either one. If it is diabetes, then I would be concerned about diabetic ketoacidosis with the panting. That is just a more advanced stage, which can be very serious. Certain liver problems and Cushing's disease (adrenal glands) can cause increased drinking and urination as well. Given the history of Lyme's disease, kidney failure would be the top one on my list, followed closely by diabetes. It would be a very good idea to have your vet run some blood work on him today and get started on treatment before the condition gets worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Michigan. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how Michigan is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian