Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can't eat without puking it back up. A pitbull mix. That is…

Customer Question
Can't eat without puking...

Can't eat without puking it back up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A pitbull mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct she is a pit bull mix approximately 90 pounds a little over a year old and for over 24 hours now has been throwing up anything given to her we have taken away her regular dog food the untried root feeding her rotisserie chicken we were told the grease would be good for possibly clearing any blockage every time we give her anything to eat within minutes it comes right backup

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Pitbull eat anything unusual?

Not that we are aware of she has kenneled all day will be at work but she does have free roam of the backyard that is fenced in she is known to eat lots of sticks in any type of wood in the backyard lying around but this time is different she's even throwing up heard dog food along with anything else we give her we tried to take away her food and feed her only one cup of things at a time but it doesn't seem to matter what it is

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pitbull's name?

Zoey, I'm not sure what her name has to do with this is this a professional site or should I contact a veterinarian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Pitbull?

No ma'am other than that she is about a year and 4 months old approximately 90 pounds has never had any issues as update on her shots and all the sudden she has been throwing up anything she ingests you can tell the monell weight she's lost in a total of 24 hours her neck even look skinnier I'm very concerned she did eat a rawhide bone for the very 1st time from the dollar store and I'm worried she might possibly have a blockage

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected.

A few things to cover.

1. Rotisserie chicken advice was one of the worst suggestions you were told to do. You were given very very bad advice. For a dog that already has severe stomach upset, to give something fatty, oily or greasy could have easily now caused your dog to develop pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is worse than just stomach upset (gastritis), and many times, pets must be hospitalized on IV fluids.

2. It is now critical to get in to a vet for supportive care. They can give some really good injections to help the stomach. Plus, it is very important to get some abdominal x-rays, because with vomiting as you describe in this age pet, having ingested a foreign body that is now stuck is a very real concern!
3. You can give some over-the-counter Pepcid A.C. maximum strength 20mg tablet. 1 tablet every 12 hours. But! This is a single suggestion and absolutely will not be enough for your dog.

I strongly encourage a ER visit based on your detailed description.

I would not feed any food for at least 12 hours and maybe longer if your vet directs otherwise.

No water for at least 4-6 hours, and when you give water, only small shallow bowls.

Some dogs with bad nausea will drink a lot of water, and it just causes them to vomit it up again.

Now, the diet you should have been told to give:

1. Boiled boneless skinless chicken and cooked white rice.

Giving something oily or greasy was very bad advice.

Try to get to ER for help.

I hope my answers have been satisfactory?

This is very disturbing to hear that I was giving the wrong advice so for $20 billed to my debit card you're telling me I need to take her just to the ER?! This has been happening for approximately 35 hours now, the vomiting, do you suggest we keep her off of fluids and food for the next 12 hours other than shallow bowls of water or immediately taking her to a vet?

I vote for the vet visit for sure!

Can get her much faster supportive care. One or two good injections to tackle that stomach distress would be nice.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?