Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is pacing and won't eat or drink, which is not like him…

Customer Question
He is pacing and...

He is pacing and won't eat or drink, which is not like him at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** year old Lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Taco?

He had old dog vestibular disease about 6 months ago

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Taco. Can you clarify his "pacing" for me, please? Is he circling, does it appear aimless, can he be distracted from doing so, does he hug walls or become trapped in corners?

He appears aimless and is not his usual happy self. He won't drink water, he can't lie still and I think his stomach is bloated

Thank you. In most cases, such pacing indicates encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain - cerebrum and/or thalamus but if his abdomen is bloated I need to consider that his pacing indicates intractable pain as well. At Taco's advanced age, however, there's rarely just one thing going on and so his vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and either X-rays or ultrasound of Taco's abdomen. A bloated abdomen in a 14 year old can be effusive - free fluid in the abdominal cavity - and that can occur secondary to right-sided heart failure, liver, kidney, and bowel failure as well as secondary to neoplasia in the abdominal cavity which may have metastasized to his brain. Please see if you can have Taco attended to by his vet in the morning. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian