Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6-pound Topy Fox Terrier has thrown up a dark chocolate-

Customer Question
My 6-pound Topy Fox...

My 6-pound Topy Fox Terrier has thrown up a dark brown chocolate- appearing substance about five times. We went on the hunt and found that she had eaten almost an entire bag of Baker's Chocolate. The internet advised that chocolate (theobromine) is poisonous to dogs. What should we do? What symptoms should we expect to see from our baby?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the fox terrier ate?

Yes, almost a full bag of Baker's Chocolate

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the fox terrier?

She is about one year old, pedigreed, show dog.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

With your little one's size and the amount ingested, even if some was vomited I would strongly advise a veterinary er. It can cause increased heart rate, respiratory rate, high blood pressure, changes in heart rhythm and this should be monitored and treated aggressively in one so young so if you have a veterinary er in your area please take her to them asap

With this ingestion, you may see symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness
  • Seizures
  • High temperatures

They also may administer activated charcoal to block any further absorption but beginning iv fluids, monitoring for toxicity and treating asap is key to help her get through this tonight

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your little one to see if you were able to get her to the veterinary er and if she is doing alright? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I have been a dog breeder, trainer, and exhibitor for more than 20 years and knew that I should get my dog to the vet clinic asap. What I needed for the $20.00 I paid was additional infrmation I could check out on the internet for additional info, e.g. theobromine poisoning, symptomitology, time lines, etc....more detailed information as would be expected from a true veterinary medical professisonal. The info I received could have been given from any number of experienced sources, such as other breeders, hundreds of which I have had acquaintances with and with whom I still enjoy a relationship. A good vet office clerk could have given the info I received. You guys need to raise the bar on the information you provide. Sincerely, ***** ***** Chance, Ph.D.
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian