Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Have a German Shorthair Pointer her jaw gets locked open has…

Customer Question
Have a German Shorthair...

Have a German Shorthair Pointer her jaw gets locked open has happened 3 times total i seen it for 1st time a week ago what causes that and what to do do to close it just help the dog close the jaw or what is best?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Daisey 5 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisey?

Know other than that she is healthy current on all shots and vet visits.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 5 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that your question was not picked up sooner.

You may be seeing TMJ and I would have your pup examined for this. But you also want to make sure there is nothing more serious going on such as a tumor on a bone preventing the dog from closing the mouth when it opens too wide.

I am going to direct you to a link that explains TMJ and treatmets

http://www.mypetsdentist.com/pet-tmj-problems.pml

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant