Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 month old male doberman, he weighs about 65 pounds ate 6…

Customer Question
11 month old male...

11 month old male doberman , he weighs about 65 pounds ate 6 sticks of Airheads watermelon gum it is sugerless with Xylitol. It was around 3 hours ago. He has thrown up his lunch and it had some gum in it. He also has some diarhea. He has eaten his dinner about 10 minutes ago. He acts like he feels fine but i know diff gum has diff amounts of Xylitol.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Lambeau

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

There is a total of 2,000 mg of sugar alcohols in a stick of gum and while xylitol is listed as the first ingredient in the list, we can't know how many mg of it and the other sugar alcohols in that gum are present. Symptoms of hypoglycemia (weakness, vomiting, disorientation, lethargy, ataxia/"drunken sailor", twitching, increased hunger, seizures) could arise between 30 minutes and 12 hours post-ingestion. Liver injury could be occurring without hypoglycemia arising. Vomiting should be at least partially protective but I would overfeed Lambeau over the next 9 hours and then have his liver enzymes checked by his vet in the morning. Overfeeding should keep his blood sugar level elevated. If he resists the additional food you can dose him with 30 mL (2 measuring tablespoons) of a sucrose-containing syrup such as Karo every 3 hours for the nest 9 hours. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Thank you

You're welcome. Do you want me to stay in this conversation or opt out?

Thank you, ***** ***** can opt out
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul,
 replied 8 months ago
DocPaul
Phone call session started