Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Am I’ve got a two year old American cocker spaniel name

Customer Question
Hi am I’ve got...

Hi am I’ve got a two year old American cocker spaniel name ransom and he has been having like water poop like diarrhea for since yesterday and every time I feed him he gets he has diarrhea and he’s not acting like he doesn’t feel bad he still running around and drinking water and want to eat but he keeps having diarrhea what is that

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Ransom

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ransom?

No Not neutered him perfectly healthy forever

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Thank you

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with his digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite. I would much rather treat him before he is acting sick and dehydrated versus later when it is much more difficult to get him feeling better but also to avoid him not feeling well

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken but waiting 12-24 hours to feed to allow the stomach to rest and the intestinal spasms causing the diarrhea to subside
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools
- Leash walks to help nausea, cramping, and spasms to resolve 15+ minutes 2-3 times daily. Not running around in the yard but regulated exercise

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass)

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your Ransom to see how he is feeling and if the gi symptoms have subsided? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian