Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Was groomed and a hot spot appeared under his neck. I put…

Was groomed and a...

Was groomed and a hot spot appeared under his neck. I put antiseptic gel from an old issue. Green appeared. Used coconut oil. Red has diminished Today I’m putting aloe Vera gel to cool it. Still has green emiting from wound.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No emergency vet on duty over the weekend.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Desmo. Is a rescue. Full bred Golden. Roughly 8 or 9.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Desmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Desmo?

He is on thyroid meds.

11/19/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Thank you

So sorry to hear your dog has an area with a potential hot spot. I can give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but with the green appearance I would advise your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted when they open tomorrow.

1.) No licking or scratching! If this area is reachable then please put a cone on to prevent him from reaching the area. If needed socks on the back feet to stop scratching. Licking or scratching introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the wound but please minimize the use of scissors near the skin risking possibly cutting the skin

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments or things like coconut oil because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. Especially hot spots that thrive on moisture. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch but may initially cause mild sedation

7.) If this is a hot spot then you can use Dom Boro which is available at your local pharmacy over the counter. It is a tablet or salt form that is mixed with water then a towel is placed in the mixture and applied to the area 10 minutes before wiping off and before shampoo. CLICK HERE for more information on hot spots in dogs

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I have been washing wound and replacing ointment. He can not chew the wound which is a blessing. Thank you for your help.

I really would minimize the ointment because it traps in moisture which is what hot spots thrive on. Keeping it dry and clean is key

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Very satisfied

Thank you, ***** ***** are able to rate with the stars on the top of the page that would be very much appreciated. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you both and I hope that your beloved Desmo is back to normal soon :)

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian