Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Two days ago my pup started vomiting and had no appetite or…

Two days ago my...

Two days ago my pup started vomiting and had no appetite or want for water which is very unlike her and was very lethargic. That night she had diarrhea. The next morning she was drinking a little and had a small appetite and seemed to have a little more pep in her step again. And by that early evening it started over again and still today no appitire and vomiting all though that has slowed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She is 13 weeks old

11/19/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your puppy is showing gi upset. Unfortunately I am very concerned about parvovirus. Please consider a veterinary exam or a veterinary er to test for this and begin treatment should be prudent. There is now a home therapy option for parvo but it does require a veterinary visit and medications dispensed by your veterinarian or the er. Although Parvo does typically have bloody stools it can present with any gi upset and with her age and symptoms I would want to rule this out. Even if she has had her first few vaccinations this is still a possible diagnosis

If you chose to decline this route then please see below but again this is very strongly recommended. Puppies simply don't have the reserves of adult dogs and vomiting there is going to decline rapidly without medical intervention.

First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting your puppy comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your puppy should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Again even with one vaccination there is a risk for Parvovirus and this is the time of year that it is rampant in this country. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

It was a help thank you

You are very welcome, I truly hope your little one is back to normal soon

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your puppy to see how she is doing? I would love an update when you are able

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Thank you for your rating. How is your puppy doing?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian