Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My plot puppy is 29 lbs and just got 1/2 og a 100 mg lyrica…

Customer Question
Hi my plot puppy...

Hi my plot puppy is 29 lbs and just got 1/2 og a 100 mg lyrica what do I need to be aware of, dangerous or not

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Roscoe he is a rescue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roscoe?

He is 18 weeks old and may also have lab in him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily this medication is used in dogs starting at 2 mg/kg and up to 4 mg/kg. At 29 pounds (13.2 kg) this would be 26 mg to 53 mg which is within the range that Roscoe ingested

According to the veterinary formulary:

Most common adverse effects reported include sedation and ataxia. Because use to date is limited in animals, adverse effect profile may evolve with additional clinical experience.

In addition, as with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion with the exception of potentially mild sedation

If gi side effects are seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the medicine pass more readily of >15 minutes if he is stable enough to walk

- Tonight bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

If the lethargy is progressive or vomiting/ diarrhea with blood please consider a veterinary exam but again I suspect you will see no ill effects. Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your Roscoe to see if there were any ill effects from the medicine and if he is doing alright? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman