Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog panting hard and can hardly walk. No injuries,is

Customer Question
Dog panting hard and...

Dog panting hard and can hardly walk

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No injuries,is letharglic

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

9 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Recon, he is a Lab

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Recon today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Can you tell me how long this has been going on?

Is he still eating, drinking and eliminating normally?

This is the second day for this behavior, he drinks alot of water but does not eat and seems to lack strength in his legs also he is pretty wobbly. Our vet is out of town and there is no emergency care nearby.
Are you still there?

Panting and lethargy along with ataxia of the hindlegs can be caused by hip or spinal pain, but there is no way to tell that there is not something going on internally that may be causing discomfort.

Without a thorough physical exam by a veterinarian, there is really no way to evaluate the cause of his discomfort.

Since this has been going on for 2 days already, it is likely that it is not going to resolve on it's own and if he doesn't eat, even if he is drinking, he will start to get dehydrated and hypoglycemic.

I apologize for wasting your time.

If this continues, you will have to find a way to provide veterinary care to him, even if that means driving a further distance to get him somewhere. Maybe there is a vet in your area that does house calls. I would be happy to try to help you find one if you provide me with your zip code.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Again I apologize for my for getting online when I knew this was the kind of answer I would get,I guess I did it for the love of the dog.

I understand, it can be very frustrating and worrisome when your pet is acting abnormally and you are worried about their health. For anyone online to offer a suggestion as to how to help when we don't know what is causing the symptoms would be not in Recon's best interest. Hopefully you will be able to find a way to offer relief soon. Good luck.

Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian