Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

If my dog was bitten by something, would we know it? He only…

Customer Question
If my dog was bitten...
If my dog was bitten by something, would we know it? He only goes out to use the bathroom. No visible wounds and he isn't whining.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is he showing signs of pain at all?

No he's fine. This is more of an in general question. We send him outside in our fenced in backyard by himself to use the bathroom. He is fully up to date on his shots etc. He acts fine. I just want to know if almetbing happened in our yard if he would show signs of being in pain,hurt, etc. I wouldn't want to miss it. Also we live in a rural area. What if he was bitten by a wild animal? And came inside with the salvia of the wild animal in the wound? I have small children.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Usually in most cases if your dog was bitten by something you would commonly note some swelling in the area that was bitten. If he is bitten on a limb then they would often limp with that leg as well and sometimes you would see an open oozing wound as well.

in general, a dog would normally act wounded? In pain? Whimper or give some type of sign he has been injured? Mostly he just sleeps and eats and we try never to have him outside when it's dark although sometimes my husband has let him out. But again, he has never come back in whimpering, limping etc. also if he has a bite from an animal that possibly carries rabies is that a risk to us? He is fully vaccinated.

Yes in most case a dogs wound act wounded and in obvious pain, And in most cases they would be some swelling as well. As far as rabies is concerned if he is vaccinated against rabies then there is minimal risk to you even if he is bit by an infected animal

Can I ask you one more question about our dog? He was being pulled by our 6 year old just now and nipped at her. Totally an appropriate response. No blood or anything. What should we do? Any cause for concern etc.

I would just check for any wounds in the skin. Dogs skin can be pretty elastic in some cases so sometimes they can handle pulling of the skin very well

I was actually asking about my 6 year old, not the dog. I don't see anything on her skin but if he is fully vacinated she should be ok?

Oh okay sorry that I mis understood. Yes if he is fully vaccinated and as long as there was no broken skin she should be okay and you shouldn't have anything to worry about

Let me know if you have any further questions

I'm just following up on our conversation about James. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne