Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is five years old. Every now and then and only while…

Customer Question
My dog is five...

My dog is five years old. Every now and then and only while we are

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Going for a walk she goes in circles and sits down. Why is this happening. THANK YOU

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

SHE DOES NOT SEEM TO HURT ANYWHERE.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Alice ALICE

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alice?

NO. SHE IS HAPPY AND MUCH LOVED.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected.

If unable to really walk at all, with persistent circling, that would suggest a vestibular problem (loss of equilibrium). But, I don't get the impression that is what you are saying. It is intermittent.

Therefore, I would be suspicious of something that is agitating her on the back side. If she is not on flea medication, many flea issues can cause irritation by the tail base.

Another very common cause would be impacted anal glands! Just inside the rectum, these glands can get quite big and cause discomfort.

So, this is well worth a vet visit. A vet can easily check if anal glands are impacted, and get them expressed if they are the source.

If there is anything to suggest a flea problem, then the treatment is self explanatory.