Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Wee have a 9 month old german shephard, husky mix weighs 90…

Customer Question
Wee have a 9...

Wee have a 9 month old german shephard , husky mix weighs 90 lbs and has had loose stools sence birth, pet store treatment is too expencive and doesn't work very well. he is given petagree adult food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Duke

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?

He is active and healthy, maybe a little stupid at times, but still a PUPPY.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your puppy Duke has loose stools since birth that seem to improve slightly but never clear with a pet store product.

What type of product did you try?

Was this a probiotic product (Fortiflora or Benebac for example)?

Or was is a kaolin and pectin product?
I assume that he has had stool samples checked to make sure that parasites aren't part of his problem. Puppies are more likely to have parasites as a cause of diarrhea and if he is going out and eating things, as puppies often do, he can be reinfesting himself with parasites. Make sure these stool checks are sent out to the laboratory as they can do a more thorough check for less common parasites. Perhaps worming him with a broad spectrum wormer like fenbendazole (Panacur) would be helpful.
It will be important to describe what sort of loose stools he has to try and localize the problem. Loose stools with mucous or bright red blood point more towards large bowel diarrhea or colitis, whereas just watery stools with no mucous point more toward small bowel disease. Increased frequency points toward large bowel diarrhea, whereas more normal frequency and normal or increased amounts points toward small bowel diarrhea.
Diarrhea can also lead to bacterial overgrowth in the gut. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria. Have you tried those?
It is quite possible that he has developed a food allergy/sensitivity and that he needs a different food. Stay away from foods that have the same protein (meats, eggs) and carbohydrate (starches like rice or wheat) ingredients as his current food as those are the ingredients he is likely reacting to. Ideally if we suspect a food allergy he would be put on a true hypoallergenic diet to clear his symptoms and then we ry to determine what he is allergic to by offering ingredients one at a time and seeing what he reacts to. Once we know what he is sensitive to then we try to pick a food without his allergens.
There are other possibilities for diarrhea as well.
Addison's disease, which is a poorly functioning adrenal gland, can lead to intermittent diarrhea and/or vomiting. These dogs cannot handle stress at all because their adrenal gland doesn't produce cortisone when stressed and their electrolytes can be off too if their adrenal gland isn't controlling that normally either. We see vomiting, diarrhea and sometimes physical collapse in severely affected dogs. Testing is an ACTH response test to check adrenal gland function and checking electrolyte levels. Treatment is steroid replacement therapy and electrolyte replacement.
Pancreatic insufficiency is another possibility, and we see this disease more commonly in some breeds such as Shepherds. These dogs have a pancreas that produces a decreased amount of digestive enzymes, and the amount produced can wax and wane in some cases, especially early in the disease process. However some dogs have poor function from birth and have greasy, voluminous stools their whole life. Testing is by running a blood test called a TLI which checks for digestive enzymes. Treatment is replacement of digestive enzymes at each meal. An easier to digest food would be expected to create less problems with digestion and as such less diarrhea.
Kidney and liver disease can cause diarrhea too, but I would expect him to be sicker in general and he would be quite young for that unless he has congenital organ disease.
In short because this has been ongoing for a bit then changes should be made in his diet and diagnostics should be done if that isn't enough.
The diagnostics can be as simple as fecal checks and cultures to start. If that isn't enough then a complete blood count and biochemistry profile, cobamalin and folate levels (to look for intestinal disease) and testing for pancreatic insufficiency or Addison's disease to assess general health.
Or if this truly becomes chronic they can be more invasive such as biopsies of his gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma (though cancer is less likely at his age it is possible).
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian