Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has had a mild intermittent cough and now some

Customer Question
She has had a...

She has had a mild intermittent cough and now some clear-yellow nasal discharge for a few days as well as diarrhea. eating and drinking fine and acting totally normal otherwise, playing and tons of energy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Shes a 6 month old golden retriever

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the golden retriever's name?

Sadie

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Sara. Glad to hear she isn't feeling sick. Does Sadie do any puppy classes, has she been to a boarding kennel or any other place where she could have picked up a respiratory infection? How many days on the diarrhea?

Hi Sara, she goes to a small puppy daycare near my work with 4 other dogs, none of them have been sick. She's had diarrhea kind of intermittently for 4 days. She will have a formed stool and then she'll have diarrhea sometimes right after but no increase in frequency, not waking up at night to go etc
I'm thinking she has a virus I just don't want to be blasé if she might need antibiotics.
Today and yesterday I had to wipe her nose with Kleenex bc there was actually mucous kind of hanging out of one of her nostrils

I agree. The other thing to keep in mind is lungworm which can cause a slight cough which doesn't get real bad but also doesn't go away. Here is what I would do, if you cleaned mucus from her nose, she needs antibiotics but if she is acting normally, you can wait until tomorrow. Your veterinarian will likely prescribe Doxycycline. I would also ask to deworm for Lungworm with Panacur. Today for the diarrhea, I would boil some chicken and rice and mix that with her regular food to try to help with the diarrhea. I would also bring your veterinarian a sample tomorrow. If she is mingling with other dogs, she may have picked up a parasite.

Hi, are you still there?