Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is coughing non stop, but. Stops if I hold her been

Customer Question
She is coughing non...

She is coughing non stop , but. Stops if I hold her been going on for 2 days she is an female American Eskimo 14 yes old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Fluffy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fluffy?

Her breath still KS bad

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Fluffy. While any age dog can cough due to a simple respiratory infection such as the infectious tracheobronchitis complex, I need to consider more dire causes of coughing in a 14 year old - advanced cardiopulmonary disorders such as congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, heartworm disease, pneumonias, and neoplasia in the chest cavity. An on-call or Fluffy's vet will want to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray her chest as part of a thorough physical exam. Time is of the essence as congestive heart failure is life-threatening. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.