Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her pads are yellow and it doesn’t seem to bother her, Pads…

Customer Question
Her pads are yellow...

Her pads are yellow and it doesn’t seem to bother her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Pads on her feet are yellow

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Cleo and she is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cleo?

Just the back pads seem to be yellow

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I suspect that you're seeing the color associated with paw pad hyperkeratosis. Can you upload a photo(s) of these pads to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

This is an idiopathic (unknown cause) condition characterized by the excessive formation of keratin. Keratin is a structural protein of skin. Thickened, hard, dry keratin accumulates and secondary erosions, ulcers and fissures may be present and represent an autoimmune skin disease (the immune system is attacking my patient’s own tissues). Autoimmune skin diseases are confirmed only by biopsy.

The intensity of therapy depends on the severity of the lesions. For mild, asymptomatic cases, affected areas should be hydrated with a warm water soak. A softening agent, then, should be applied every 24 hours until excessive keratin has been removed (~7-10 days). Treatment should be continued on an as-needed basis for control. Effective softening agents include the following: petroleum jelly, A&D ointment, ichthammol ointment, salicylic acid/sodium lactate/urea gel, and tretinoin gel. (The last three are available from Cleo's vet.) For fissured lesions, combination antibiotic/glucocorticoid ointment (Panalog, e.g.) may be applied to lesions every 8-12 hours until healed. Horny growths should be trimmed away before hydration and softening therapy are begun.The prognosis is good. Although it's incurable, this is a cosmetic disease that usually can be managed symptomatically. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you!

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

That's a good example of hyperkeratosis. You can see how treament as I posted above affects those pads or you can simply monitor the pad as she isn't affected and they represent a cosmetic disorder only at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?