Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has diarrhea and has vomited, both dark or black in

Customer Question
She has diarrhea and...

She has diarrhea and has vomited, both dark or black in color

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

She had some people food last night, but seemed normal this morning. It was a little later after running around in the yard that she got sick.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Beka, 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beka?

She could have eaten something outside

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She is also shaking and drolling
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your pup Beka. She sounds very sick. Dark/black liquid or tarry stools, and/or vomiting dark or coffee ground like material usually indicate digested blood in the stool or vomit.

Her shaking and drooling likely indicate severe nausea and abdominal pain.

Diarrhea and vomiting can be caused by a primary viral, bacterial or protozoan infection, or eating something that irritates the gastrointestinal tract, inflammatory bowel disease or a severe case of parasites, an obstruction or twisting of the bowel leading to intestinal wall damage, internal organ failure or cancer.

The danger with blood in the stool or vomit is that means the intestine and stomach lining are raw and a raw gastrointestinal tract lining more easily allows bacteria into the abdominal cavity itself and can lead to peritonitis. The darker color of her stool indicates the blood is in her stool is from farther forward in the intestinal tract.

Can you check her temperature for me? Normal dog temp is 102F. A fever is >103.5F.

Can you also check her mucous membrane (gum) color? They should be bubblegum pink and if you press on them they should blanche then return to pink in less than 2 seconds. They should also be moist not sticky. If they are sticky that means she is dehydrated.

If her color is fine and she doesn't have a fever or a subnormal temperature (less than 99F) then she is more stable than a dog with a high fever or a low temperature, but I still would recommend an emergency examination tonight given her symptoms and her age. Puppies do not have the reserves nor the strong immune system of an adult, fully vaccinated dog.

If she has a fever, her mucous membranes aren't pink, and when you press on her abdomen it seems very tense or painful I would be more even concerned. These are signs of a blockage, pancreatitis (inflammation of her pancreas causing increased enzyme production, usually related to a high fat meal) or possibly a viral infection (Parvo virus for example). These are emergency situations and she needs to be seen immediately.

If she cannot be examined tonight do not try to feed her any more. Fast her for at least 12 hours. This may stop gut spasms and help restore normal motility. Right now hydration is important because of the diarrhea and vomiting so make sure she's drinking well. It's a good idea to offer pedialyte too in a few hours to replace electrolytes. If she won't drink on her own you will need to dribble it in with a syringe (2 to 3 teaspoons at a time). If this goes well (no vomiting) then in 12 hours you can try a bland diet. If she continues to vomit even without food then she needs to see her veterinarian for more diagnostics (bloodwork and radiographs and/or an ultrasound of her abdomen)

To make a bland diet boil hamburger (or chicken) chunks, drain off all fat, and mix 50:50 with plain boiled white rice. Feed 2 tablespoons initially. If she handles that well then feed her 1/4 cup of the mixture a couple hours later. If she handles that fine then feed her 4 meals of this mixture daily until she is feeling herself (usually in 2 to 3 days) and the diarrhea is resolved. Once she is eating well for a few days with no diarrhea start mixing in her regular food and slowly (over 7 to 10 days) convert her back to her regular diet by adding more of her regular food and less of the bland diet each day. If she starts vomiting, runs a fever, has a painful abdomen or stops eating she needs a veterinary examination.

You can also give an acid reducer to try and settle her stomach today, either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if need be.

If she continues vomiting , has increasing amounts of frank blood or dark tarry stools (suggesting digested blood), has a painful/tense abdomen or a fever (anything greater than 103.5F) or below normal temperature then she needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible as this suggests more serious disease that can't be treated at home.

Either way I would suggest submitting a fresh stool sample to her veterinarian to check for gastrointestinal parasites.

Please reply back to this post with any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian