Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Had a stroke Wednesday morning. He is alert and will get up…

Customer Question
Had a stroke Wednesday...

Had a stroke Wednesday morning. He is alert and will get up and maybe walk 5 feet and lay down again. He does not want to go out. What can I do to get him out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Zeus and 14. He has had three walks a day before his stroke and very active.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus?

He takes carprofen 25mg daily. He eats eggs, fish and cheese daily, along with his dog food.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 9 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am very sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

What have you tried so far to get him outside?

Do you have steps he has to go up and down?

we have steps and going thru the front door they are smaller. He still does not want to go down.

You may have to get a ramp or make a ramp , depending on how many steps there are. You can make a ramp out of plywood, some indoor outdoor carpet, and to keep the carpet from slipping, put strips of 1 x 2 strips of wood over the carper every 9 inches. This will also give the dog some footing.

You will likely need a walking harness/sling for dogs. You can likely find one at a major pet store . something to hold the rear hips up to help him walk.

Here are some samples https://lessonsfromaparalyzeddog.com/my-5-favorite-harnesses-for-handicapped-dogs/

Until you can get a harness, you can try putting a beach towel or other long strong material under her so you can hold her up

I bought a harness yesterday and he does not like it. Going to take it back to the store.

you got a regular harness or a special lift harness?

A special lifed harness

What happens when you use it? What does he do?

He just stands and does not move.

This is the only way you will be able to help him. He may need a chance to get used to it. I might leave it on him for a while so he gets used to it as dogs do collars.

You will then need to lift him slowly and maybe hold a piece of chicken in front of him to encourage him to move.

The only other option is a dog stretcher but you need two people to carry him outside to the lawn.

Ok thank you . I will try it tomorrow.

It can take time for them as this is new apparatus and it is scary for them.

Ok thank you.

You are very welcome. I hope she is doing better soon.

Thanks.