Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He was Bit By a dog. He has a puncture wound and ist. Chico…

Customer Question
He was Bit By...

He was Bit By a dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He has a puncture wound and ist

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

Chico - he's 3.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chico?

No- He is a Chihuahua Pugilist mix and was bitten by a large dog

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Chico.

As long as the bite wound isn't too deep or bad (where he's need sutures), you may be able to deal with this at home. I have a few suggestions which may help; please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Thanks- He Sems like He is in pain, very sore to the Touch - what Would a Vet do?

1. I would clean the area with over the counter dilute betadine/iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day and let it dry. These anti-septic products are available at most pharmacies. I would avoid hydrogen peroxide since it can retard healing with deep wounds and alcohol will burn (which you probably already know.)

2. Then I would apply over the counter topical antibiotic ointment such as you would use for a wound on yourself...neomycin, bacitracin, neosporin, etc.

3. Another perfect product for this situation would be Vetericyn Spray which is effective for just about any problem involving the skin, especially bite wounds. It can be found at many pet/grain store (at least here in the States) or can be purchased online.

4. As long as he's not taking any steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, then Aspirin can be given at a dose of 5-10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset. For example, if he weighs about 10 pounds, then his dose would be one, 81 mg (low dose) aspirin twice a day.

5. Warm compresses can also be applied to the skin which may help soothe the area.

If the wound develops a green/yellow discharge or he worsens in any way, then a vet visit may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Chico. How are things going with his wound? Deb