Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 2-year old red bone coonhound. She's been sick…

Customer Question
Hi! We have...

Hi! We have a 2-year old red bone coonhound. She's been sick last Sunday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Coonhound?

Last Sunday, she began vomiting and having diarrhea. She stopped eating/drinking on Monday night, and therefore, Tuesday morning, we took her to our vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Coonhound eat anything unusual?

They did an abdominal x-ray, which was normal. Also did a fecal test, which was negative. they diagnosed her with gastroenteritis, and sent her home with meds (anti-nausea, Pepcid, tramadol, and probiotics)

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Coonhound's name?

Gigi she ate a little Tuesday night, and a few very small meals every 2 hours on Wednedsday...bland diet...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gigi?

She threw up again on Thursday, and refused to eat anything again, or drink We took her back to the vet on Friday...she spent the day there, hooked up to an IV b/c she was dehydrated. They did an uranlysis along with blood panel. only 2 things were elevated (can't remember what) and therefore, she was diagnosed with pancreatitis and discharged home Friday night with more meds She ate a little boiled chicken Friday night and Saturday morning, just a little...but since about 10:00 Saturday morning, she has not eaten or drank anything

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Did they repeat X-rays when she was on IV's to make sure that there were no changes in the intestines that could indicate a possible foreign body ( something she at that is now causing a blockage in her gastrointestinal tract: common objections, socks, plastic, balls, etc ). That is a really common cause for symptoms like these that are not improving.

Sometime X-rays do not catch it the first time because the blockage may not be severe enough yet to cause the changes to be seen on the X-ray. An ultrasound can be more helpful sometimes in these borderline cases and also can tell us if the blood work missed anything ( when I say missed I mean that maybe the changes in an organ were not sever enough yet to show elevations on blood work until the disease process had been going on for a little longer)

I would recommend that you get her to an emergency clinic today and get repeat X-rays and an ultrasound to see if this is the case and if there is something causing a blockage in her stomach or her intestines. The problem with these conditions is they can seem to get better than the patient gets worse again and it can take time to see the changes on X-ray.

IF there is something stuck somewhere in her gastrointestinal tract the longer it is there and is not removed surgically the higher the chance that the intestines where the blockage is can start to die and become necrotic which can be catastrophic and result in the animal not making it even with the best of care.

Also if this is just pancreatitis we need to be concerned because pancreatitis can become extremely severe as well an result in sepsis and death. Some patients require days in hospital with aggressively therapies IV to get them through it.

One infectious disease we can see start like this is called Leptospirosis. If Gigi is out and about near standing water or creeks etc we need to consider this as well if a foreign body is ruled out and the pancreas on ultrasound is not too severely inflamed. There is a test for this bacterium. Also lepto is contagious to humans transmitted through the animals urine. I would recommend that if her liver or kidney values were elevated that she get tested for this is the other two causes are ruled out completely.

If there is evidence of a blockage then she may need surgery and the faster that happens the better prognosis for recovery.

Good luck with Gigi I am sorry she is going through this. I know it can get frustrating to keep running tests, but something Is wrong and with her being a young dog (young pups like to eat everything) I am really really worried she has a foreign body blockage and we need to get this diagnosed and get her treated as soon as possible if this is the case.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian