Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Heavy panting in sleep and when awake. Also goes outside and…

Customer Question
Heavy panting in sleep...

Heavy panting in sleep and when awake. Also goes outside and lays on the cold ground

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Yellow lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes. It is a yellow lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the animal. What is the's name and age?

George and he is 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about George?

Excessive panting, whinning, excessive water drinking. Has a thyroid condition that he takes meds for

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like George may need to have his thyroid medications adjusted. Those can be indicators that the thyroid is not being controlled. However, a dog with cushings might display signs of a thyroid problem as well. Cushing's is when the adreanal glands overproduce glucocorticoid. This can be caused by a tumor, steroids and is mostly seen in older animals. Symptoms include excessive drinking and urination, increased appetite, increased panting, lethargy, hair loss, weakness, and a pot belly. Dog's with cushings sometimes have darkened skin.

Treatment and prognoses depends on the cause. In some dogs treatment is very effective. You can read about this here as well as more detailed information on cushings.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=416

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/hyperadrenocorticism-cushings-syndrome-in-dogs/

Now a urinary tract infection might also cause excessive water drinking and panting and whining due to discomfort. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. A UTI is not considered an emergency unless the dog is unable to urinate.

I would plan on having your dog seen as soon as possible to check his dosage, have a urinalysis done and discuss the possibility of cushings with your vet. It is likely just an adjustment is needed in his med but it is better to be safe.

Remember to try and get his weight down if he is overweight as that can be a factor in hypothyroidism. I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.