Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 year old began eating paper, any kind of paper. He is…

Customer Question
My 15 year old...

My 15 year old ***** ***** began eating paper, any kind of paper. He is toothless. He doesn't have worms, that I can see, I check every stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Mr. Wiggles.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr.?

Mr. Wiggles is a picky eater and I am looking for a better food for him.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you./ I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

Eating paper or other non food items is called pica can be just a bad habit or it can be due to a health issue.

I would have the dog examined by the vet with blood work specifically for this problem.

Another cause can just be behavior, as dogs age they can begin to go through canine cognitive dysfunction and some behaviors they once had can be picked up again or new behaviors can begin.

I am going to direct you to a link that goes over pica which will tell you what type of diseases will cause it.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/pica-eating-non-food-items-in-dogs/