Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog fell off the bed and now she is in pain. We are

Customer Question
My dog fell off...

My dog fell off the bed and now she is in pain. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow but is there something to do in the meantime

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lilo and she is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilo?

Nope. She is a normal and healthy little dog.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lilo. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you so much Dr.Salkin. The asprin was a good temporary fix until we got her to the vet. She did have a herniated disc and is now on some meds for that. But we got past Sunday with her in a much happier mood. Thank you
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

You're quite welcome. Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. My best to Lilo!