Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I woke up just now to my dog making this noise that sounds…

Hi. I woke up just...
Hi. I woke up just now to my dog making this noise that sounds like a cough. She does it in threes and then it stops for a minute or so before she does it again. When she lays down it’s not as bad but it’s still there.
11/19/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

Do you still need help for your dog's cough?

If so, it is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Does this cough sound like a hairball or a goose honking?

Has she had a collar on recently or been on a walk with a leash and regular collar?

Have you tried anything yet?

Hi! Yes I would still like some help. It’s developed into more of a hiccup type sound. She does has a collar but I follow the two finger rule so i don’t think it’s bothering her. And I do take her for walks but I use a harness.

Thanks for the additional information.

Dogs don't get colds like humans, but they can develop upper respiratory illnesses such as kennel cough and canine influenza as well as bronchitis and inhaled allergies. So I'm going to go over the various causes for coughs so you can read up on them. There may be symptoms or circumstances I am unaware of that may make one of these causes more likely than the ones I think are the possible causes.

Just like humans dogs can get bronchitis. She may be starting with bronchitis but in most cases the cough is productive and there is wheezing. You can read about bronchitis here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/chronic-bronchitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dogs can also be allergic to inhaled things like pollens, air fresheners, cleaning supplies, dust, etc. This will often cause sneezing and nasal congestion even some eye issues. With allergies you usually see some nasal discharge and possible red eyes, etc. If this is the case, Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. An allergy is a strong possibility. An allergic reaction might cause some inflammation of the airway and thus the cough as a result. It certainly won't hurt her to give benadryl a try. You can read about these here.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=479

Kennel cough is normally contracted when a dog has been boarded or kenneled or around a large number of dogs such as at a dog show, dog park or pet store even the vet office. In most cases an adult dog will have it for about 3 weeks before recovering without treatment. Often a vet will supply antibiotics if it is a pup that has contracted kennel cough. If she has been around other dogs in the last couple of weeks, that is a possibility though the cough generally sounds like a honking goose or hairball like cats do. Now that hiccup type sound does resemble a hairball type sound. Here is a website with more information on kennel cough.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=452

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. She would also need to contract this from another dog. Here is an excellent site on it.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/canine-influenza-virus-dog-flu/page1.aspx

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and may require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet.

To help your dog breathe easier you can run a NON-medicated humidifier in the room your dog is in, or sit in a steamed up bathroom with your dog to help keep any mucous moving. Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. It should only contain dextromethorphan and Guaifenisen. and should NOT contain pseudoephedrine. If your dog has not had a vet visit in a while or a heart condition is suspected you should not give Robitussin until it is ruled out as it can mask heart issues. It is given to dogs with heart issues, but if the vet doesn't' know there is a heart issue, it could cover that up when you need the vet to be able to accurately rule out a heart problem. Dosages can be obtained at this website.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

There are other reasons for coughs such as heart problems which should be investigated if your dog is not on heartworm preventative or is an older dog. The following site goes over canine coughs.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cough.html

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/chest-lung-conditions.aspx

Your dog could be doing what is called a reverse sneeze or a collapsing trachea. Here is a site on reverse sneezes and one on collapsing tracheas.

http://www.beaglebuddies.com/misc/reverse.html

http://vetsurgerycentral.com/tracheal_collapse.htm

Now a collapsing trachea type cough might sound much the same as a cough from reduced air flow from an allergic reaction. If she hasn't had any recent pulls to the collar where her neck might have been injured then I would try benadryl first and see if there was improvement. If there is, then you can try and figure out what new is in her environment and try and eliminate it to see if she improves once it is removed.

If there is no improvement, then you may have to have your vet take a quick look to be sure it is just kennel cough. Given her small size, he may decide to give antibiotics proactively.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner