Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yesterday I came home and noticed my dog was limping it is…

Customer Question
Yesterday I came home...

Yesterday I came home and noticed my dog was limping it is gets better and worse what can I give her for the pain in to make them more comfortable until I can get her to the vet on Monday morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Young man yes I have we can find a wound or anything that can be causing it all we can think of is that maybe she fell in a hole or Twisted her leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

She was a year old on October 28th and her name is Quinn

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Quinn?

She is pregnant as of November 4th to the 8th

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. (Acetaminophen is preferred in pregnant animals as salicylates such as aspirin are possible teratogens (can cause embryo malformations) and have been shown to delay parturition in humans.)

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?