Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a pit, and she ate a 1/2 bone. it was a cooked pork

I have a pit bull...
I have a pit bull, and she ate a 1/2 bone. it was a cooked pork rib bone will this harm her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kali and shes 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kali?
Customer: no she's not acting weird, she's never had bones.. but she ate that up...
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since she ate the bone?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
2 hours ago

Lori, the concern with the ingestion of a pork bone is that it can become obstructed or perforate the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bone or pass it in the stool without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian