Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can tramadol, gabapentin and carprofen be give to a dog at…

Customer Question
Can tramadol, gabapentin and...

Can tramadol, gabapentin and carprofen be give to a dog at the same time or a different time of the day?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Broken pelvis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Back end he is on carpropfen and gabapentin but is still in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

He is 7 and weight is 52 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

400 mg of gabapentin twice a day and 100 mg carprophen twice a day

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Sorry it’s vetprohen not carprophen. He does not want to drink and will only eat biscuits

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable, hopefully the broken pelvis should soon heal, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Actually there is no reason in terms of drug interaction why you should not give Vetprofen { Carprofen } Gabapentin and Tramadol together, these are all very different drugs and work in different ways, so on paper there is no reason why they should not be given together at the same time or at different times of day as per the prescribing vets instructions.

2. This however is quite a cocktail of drugs so it would be wise to run this past the vet handling your dog's case. However in the meantime here is a link to an accurate article which covers how tramadol is use din the dog including dose rates etc. : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his pain relief meds ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian