Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My show dog an Aphgan Hound over a 2 week period began

Customer Question
My show dog an...

My show dog an Aphgan Hound over a 2 week period began loosing his hair. He shrank in size quickly. My husband let me know something was wrong. I have been away due to both of my parents passing. When I first saw him I was in shock. I did give him total shave, good bath and took him out for a couple of hours to play. We awoke this morning to his bowels giving away and within 15mins he passed. He was a dog that the show person truly took everything out of him then used him as a breeding tool. When we purchased him 3 yrs ago at age 6 he was in poor health full of all the different types of worms hook, whip, etc. But we nursed he and got him back in good shape. His coat never looked healthy. After professional visits to dog spas coat was dull. I was feeding him organic top of the line food. But tbis just came on and within 2 weeks gone and again his size went from 72 pounds to less than 40 quickly. One week at best. After I shaved him and bathed him I have small little bites all over me. I saw no signs of fleas, ticks and I checked his ears. Just at a loss of why he would go so quickly. Why thoughts? He was a Grand Champion and I feel like I let him down. I was grieving the loss of both my parents so I had been distance from him .. But my oldest son cared for him. Feeding, walking, water... and something came on so quickly. He did have matted hair but that was what I shaved. Wben I was made aware of his condition he was already almost bald from head, face, ears and neck and every every small.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

He had a wound on the tip of his ear

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

He has two show and home. Home Gaberille

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He did get out of his area a couple of weeks back and got into the kitchen. I do not know what all he got into but comet powder bleach and other cleaning supplies were on the counter top. People were here cleaning the house.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Was he eating and drinking normally?

Was thyroid testing ever performed on him with his poor haircoat?

When was bloodwork last performed?

Do you have pictures of his condition within the last few weeks?

One year check up fi
One yr check up was fine. He was eatng and dr
Sorry. My phone. Yes drinking and eating. Was fine in June, July, and Aug. Sept. October this began and passed when I stated. I was absent due to my parents but when it was brought to my attention it was bad. Again face, ear, neck ALL hair was gone and he was super small. I did the things as I stated and thought he is grieving due to my absences... I am just shocked all the way around. I know its not alot to go on. I have since been told he had been crying. I think everyone kept it from me due to my parents. Just at a loss..

When was bloodwork last performed?

He had bloodwork about 9 months prior. He was taking the 1 every 6 months flea and tick med and heartworm med which both made him very ill. We had to take him to get IV"s due to the med. No I did not take a last photo. The last pboto I have is Sept. I had noticed prior to my parents passing that he wasnt running as much. Again he was a show dog. Very trained and we have a young one that runs full speed. The younger one was pick of the litter but never a show dog. When we purchased them I noticed the coat then. Dull and we tried everything... I thought it was due to sun. The breeder is a horder of these dogs; with over 60plus. When our Vet called her she became very defensive about his medical background. But as stated we cleared him of all worms and he became much better he spirit but fell ill quickly and I believe my family tbought he was greiving. My son stated the last day be walked him that his legs gave way. Again I think everyone was trying to protect me. I just could not imagine what would make him go bald and shrink within a 60plus day. I was so afraid he was posioned. So I did not know if the iinformation I did have fit any time of profile. He was always thin. Meaning rib cage and tail bone area. I was told that was show dog necessary. I fed him Origen food, Chicken Jerky Strips all seemed well until I step away from his care... The only thing I was told was that he did get out of our bedroom... And into the kitchen. The next info was that I was needed to help him. Maybe my family knows and is protecting me but as an owner of a mini schwazer that lived for 18yrs. I found it quite odd for a dog to go from one extreme to another.

Do you have a copy of the bloodwork to share so that I may see what they checked for?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian