Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 35lb Shiba Inu just ate part of a poppy seed bagel with…

Customer Question
My 35lb Shiba Inu...

My 35lb Shiba Inu just ate part of a poppy seed bagel with cream cheese. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Shiba Inu will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Shiba Inu?

No. He is in extremely good health, rarely vomits even if he manages to get a peace of rancid food off the ground!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No, there's nothing toxic in that bagel/cream cheese. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but he wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

(You may be concerned about poppy seeds. Only some species contain a hallucinogenic and even those would take a wheelbarrow-full of seeds to intoxicate a dog.)

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I feel 100% better. You are the best!!
Gary & Sparky (the dog).

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian