Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Terrier. Back legs very weak. He is extremely restless and…

Customer Question
terrier. Back legs very...
terrier. Back legs very weak. He is extremely restless and paces constantly. Won't sleep. One eye is runny and now he has this.. hiccup spasm type thing.. Sounds like a hiccup but strong enough to actually make him fall over. This was a sudden thing and seemed to happen basically overnight. Has not eaten anything out of the ordinary that I know of.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing with the hiccuping?

Is Patch on any medication at this time?

I will try to upload one when I get home. It's an odd sound. Similar to the sound of his jaws snapping shut when we play with balls or balloons.
He's not on any medication

I'll keep an eye out for your post.

HI. Tried to upload a video most of the night and wasn't able to. Actually froze my phone for a few hours. His condition seems about the same but what I described as a hiccup actually appears to be a spasm of sorts. The sound I was hearing was his jaws coming together. When it happens he cringes backwards onto his haunches pretty much. His whole body twitches and he falls back. He is still pacing nonstop and I can't get him to lay down. He doesn't mind being carried though which is good cuz I have to carry him to and from the yard due to the slippery steps on our deck. He falls when he tries them. Also the weakness I think is all of his legs not just the back. They slide out on him occasionally on the hardwood floors.
That's about all I can provide. He's not getting worse but he's exhausted. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. But either way I think he'll be going into the vet tomorrow. What's made this so odd is how fast it happened. Like overnight.

I am very concerned with the description you've given that these might be muscle spasms connected to arthritis or a disc issue in the back. I do think it would be wise to have him examined and treated by an ER vet today and, if that is not possible, by your vet bright and early tomorrow morning. These types of ailments on onset abruptly just like back spasms can in humans by doing something small like reaching for the newspaper on the ground, sneezing or stepping wrong off of a curb. If you'd like to share the video I've provided more info below on how to send it and I'll keep an eye out for additional communication from your end.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.