Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have photographs. My Old English Bulldog Pitbull mix has a…

Customer Question
I have photographs. My...

I have photographs. My Old English Bulldog Pitbull mix has a circular sore/marking that appeared on top of his head last sunday and it appears to be getting bigger

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Old English Bulldog's name and age?

Bruno is between one and two years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruno?

He is a rescue dog, but he was never in a shelter. he was found tied up in a backyard and transported to a foster home with no other dogs. Then we adopted him two weeks ago and he lives with us. I would like to show the vet the photos of the sore

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look at the pics, please...

No problem. Take your time. Thank you for your help with this.
Thank you but I would rather work through test / email

The skin lesion is an epidermal collarette which can indicate a bacterial skin infection, a dermatophyte, or less commonly, autoimmune skin disease. I'd place my bet on a dermatophyte (ringworm fungus). Bruno's vet will want to fungal culture hairs at the periphery of this lesion and perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface) looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria. Please note that ringworm is contagious to you and other pets and so be sure to wash up thoroughly if you've handled that skin. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Bruno is scheduled to be neutered on Tuesday, with a full physical scheduled for two days later. Will waiting to have the cyst examined cause it to get worse, damage his health, or make the ringworm scar his skin and fur? Also, is there a topical treatment for ringworm?

A few days without treatment aren't critical. Yes, you can find antifungal creams over the counter in the foot fungus section of your local drug store. The hair should be clipped away in and around the lesion to reveal the true extent of it prior to applying a cream. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?